Middle East and North Africa
U.S. Naval Update Map: June 6, 2013
MIN READJun 6, 2013 | 09:01 GMT
The Naval Update Map shows the approximate current locations of U.S. Carrier Strike Groups and Amphibious Ready Groups, based on available open-source information. No classified or operationally sensitive information is included in this weekly update. CSGs and ARGs are the keys to U.S. dominance of the world's oceans. A CSG is centered on an aircraft carrier, which projects U.S. naval and air power and supports a Carrier Air Wing, or CVW. The CSG includes significant offensive strike capability. An ARG is centered on three amphibious warfare ships, with a Marine Expeditionary Unit embarked. An MEU is built around a heavily reinforced and mobile battalion of Marines.
Carrier Strike Groups
- The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CSG with CVW 7 embarked is conducting missions supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR.
- The USS Nimitz CSG with CVW 11 embarked is conducting maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts in the U.S. 7th Fleet AOR.
- The USS Carl Vinson is underway in the Pacific Ocean for routine training.
- The USS Harry S. Truman CSG with CVW 3 embarked is conducting a sustainment exercise in the Atlantic Ocean in preparation for an upcoming deployment.
Amphibious Ready Groups/Marine Expeditionary Units
- The USS Kearsarge ARG with the 26th MEU embarked is underway in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR supporting maritime security operations and conducting theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS Wasp is underway in the Atlantic Ocean for routine training.