The Naval Update Map shows an approximation of the current locations of U.S. Carrier Strike Groups (CSGs) and Amphibious Ready Groups (ARGs), based on available open-source information. No classified or operationally sensitive information is included in this weekly update. CSGs and ARGs are the keys to U.S. dominance of the world’s oceans. A CSG is centered on an aircraft carrier, which projects U.S. naval and air power and supports a carrier air wing (CVW). The CSG includes significant offensive strike capability. An ARG is centered on three amphibious warfare ships, with a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) embarked. An MEU is built around a heavily reinforced and mobile battalion of Marines.
Carrier Strike Groups
- The USS Abraham Lincoln CSG with CVW 2 embarked is under way in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR) conducting missions supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS Carl Vinson CSG with CVW 17 embarked is in a scheduled port visit to Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates, during its deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR while conducting missions supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS Enterprise with CVW 1 embarked is in a scheduled port visit to Piraeus, Greece, during its 22nd and final deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet an 6th Fleet AORs as part of an ongoing rotation of U.S. forces supporting maritime security operations in international waters around the world.
- The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower with CVW 7 embarked is under way in the Atlantic Ocean conducting routine training.
Amphibious Ready Groups/Marine Expeditionary Units
- The USS Makin Island ARG with the 11th MEU embarked is under way in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOR supporting maritime security operations and conducting theater security cooperation efforts.
- The USS Essex ARG with the 31st MEU embarked is under way in the U.S. 7th Fleet AOR conducting amphibious integration training and certification exercise.
- The USS Bonhomme Richard is under way in U.S. 7th Fleet AOR during a transfer to its new home port of Sasebo, Japan, to replace the forward deployed USS Essex.
- The USS Iwo Jima ARG with the 24th MEU embarked is under way in the Atlantic Ocean on a deployment to support maritime security operations, provide crisis response capability, increase theater security cooperation efforts and provide a forward naval presence in the U.S. 5th Fleet and 6th Fleet AORs.